Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What's this you ask????

Well, this would be my very first skein of dyed yarn...that "I" did myself!!!!  Now, I will say a couple of things here.  I was going for the one color verigated look, which I think this will have in the long run.  I thought it best if I only stick to ONE color for my first attempt and thank goodness I did.  Luckily enough green IS one of my favorite colors and that is a good thing as my kitchen is COVERED in it.  Might I add that this is dye....and I am neither organized nor careful when things are running amok!!  Yep, proceeded to dye right onto my counter....! ACK!! Well, I couldn't find any newspaper as "someone" was on a burning spree and burnt everything we owned that resembled paper.  Regardless, I also discovered that I am one smart cookie and used environmentally friendly dyes (which also may or may not have had something to do with our septic system) and therefore the said dye wiped up nicely with just a bit of bleech! :)  Now in this second picture....
the bit of wonderfulness that is behind the skein is a crocheted sock blank.  Yes, I spent a couple of hours and crocheted up this mass of stitches - then dyed it.  Now I will UNravel it all and then wind it into a ball and it will become a pair of verigated socks.  Somehow, if you use more colors (and probably more uniform stitches) this will turn into self striping sock yarn, but for now...I'm just giving the verigated stuff a whirl.  Once these babies are dry, I'll reskein them and give you some more pics.  For now though - I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out.  I can definitely see more dyeing in my future!! :)

Hope you're having a great day!! :)

1 comment:

  1. COOL !!!!!!!!!!! At least the dye did clean up with bleach because if you would have tried KOOL-AID evrything would probably stayed that color ! LOL ! Now I am anxious to see what you do with these skeins and how they knit up ! Get busy as we will be there before you know it !!!!

    ReplyDelete